The Society for Business Ethics is seeking a Managing Editor for Business Ethics Quarterly.
The Managing Editor (MED) plays a crucial role in Business Ethics Quarterly’s (BEQ’s) ongoing publication, by helping to ensure the quality and timeliness of BEQ’s editorial systems and functions. The MED is expected to develop familiarity with the business ethics community and its members’ interests, because relationships within the community of BEQ editors, reviewers, contributors, and readers are essential to the journal’s success. We are looking for a person who can form part of a passionate and dedicated editorial team committed to serving a dynamic scholarly society.
The MED would have the following responsibilities:
- Overseeing the flow of manuscripts through the peer review process from submission through to publication
- Assess whether submitted manuscripts meet minimum formal requirements to be eligible for review
- Taking inquiries and providing assistance to authors, reviewers, and special issue guest editors regarding submissions, peer review, and manuscript processing processes (including ScholarOne functionality)
- Following up with late and unresponsive reviewers
- Liaising with Cambridge University Press (CUP) regarding ScholarOne and manuscript flow issues
- Participating in calls and meetings between the Editor(s) in Chief and CUP
- Managing the peer reviewer database, and preparing reports on reviewer and editorial board performance and other information as requested by the Editor(s) in Chief
- Handling social media for the journal.
Candidates for the position are expected to have the following attributes:
- A university degree in the humanities or one of the social sciences
- Demonstrated attention to detail in prior work
- Availability of ten to fifteen hours per week, throughout the calendar year
- Availability to attend the Society for Business Ethics annual conference, typically held over three days at the end of July or the beginning of August in a North American or European city
- Fluency in written and spoken English (near native)
- Understanding of the peer review system in academic journal article publishing, and academic work (in social sciences and humanities) more generally
- Ability to work independently and remotely with authors, reviewers, editors, members of the community, publishers
- A high level of patience, skill and experience in working with people or in teams.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Demonstrated responsiveness to inquiries in an academic or publishing setting
- Experience with ScholarOne or another editorial management system
- Familiarity with the field of business ethics
- Familiarity with the Society for Business Ethics.
The MED will be engaged as an independent contractor, and will be expected to invoice the Society for Business Ethics (SBE) quarterly for their services. The MED will provide necessary equipment and technology, including but not limited to internet service, computer software licenses, computer hardware, and suitable home office furniture and equipment, needed for the fulfillment of the role. As a contract service provider rather than an employee of SBE, the MED will not receive fringe benefits of any kind from SBE.
The MED’s initial contract would begin no later than the 31st of March of 2021, to facilitate an orderly transition of responsibilities from the current MED. The initial contract would end on the 30th of September of 2022. The contract would be renewable upon the agreement of both the MED and SBE, for a term mutually agreed at the time. The contract would be subject to early termination with one quarter’s notice from either party.
Remuneration for the MED role is negotiable. Reasonable travel expenses to and from the SBE Annual Conference are reimbursable for the MED, and SBE will provide lodging, conference registration, and a per diem for all other meals and incidental expenses for the MED during the conference.
Interested individuals are invited to contact the SBE Executive Director, Dr. Jason Stansbury, at Jason.firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide an expression of interest, a current CV, and three references. Applications are due no later than February 15, 2021.