General: The Communications Director is responsible for editing and uploading content to the Society’s website including, but not limited to, the quarterly newsletter and its special features, Society announcements, calls for papers, calls for special issues, new positions and job advertisements, grant opportunities, and other special content as needed. This position does not involve website design but simply routine content editing and publishing through the Society’s web-based publication platform, WordPress. The Communications Director also uploads and manages content to the appropriate social media sites. However, the Communications Director is strongly encouraged to pursue entrepreneurial strategies to further enhance the visibility of the Society for Business Ethics and Business Ethics Quarterly (such as Media coverage of the Annual Conference, for example).
The Communications Director reports to the Board of Directors. The term of this position is three years with renewal possible if mutually desired by the individual and the Board.
- Solicit, edit, organize and upload special content for the quarterly newsletter and the website.
- Work with publishers, journal editors, conference organizers and other media sources to make announcements available through the Society’s web site in a timely fashion.
- Work with the web consultant to address special website needs when they arise on matters related to graphics, presentation, organization and/or design of the web site.
- Communicate with the Society’s membership to find news and information that should be made available through the website.
- Provide periodic reports to the Board of Directors regarding areas of strategic concern or opportunity related to communications activities.
- Work with the Social Media Coordinator to upload content to appropriate social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.)
The Communications Director position is not particularly time consuming (5 hours/month with an extra 3 hours/quarter around the time of the newsletter publication date) but requires regular attention to the website and social media since timely, updated information is an essential part of the Society’s external communications.
The position is effective August 2017
If interested in this position, please contact:
Executive Director, Society for Business Ethics
University of St. Thomas
Opus College of Business